Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

usa rail pass: anatomy of a cross country train trip.

3 weeks.
7 destinations.
1 backpack.


that was my mission on this trip. i packed for the trip strategically and used everything in my backpack except for my little black dress (which i intended to wear on NYE but wore sweatpants for the occasion instead). the only items i am still missing are mini umbrella and a pair of gloves, but those are easily replaced. i packed extra totebags for carrying the food and other souveniers along the way (including a octopus stuffed animal i plan to send to a friend). i had enough extra items to keep myself entertained, and i didn't have to strain myself over having too much stuff.


the trip certainly presented its challenges with train and car accidents, major delays, losing loved ones and sketchy bus rides. despite everything, i had a good time. i didn't sleep as much as i wanted and could probably have used a break from my break, but considering all of the friends and family i visited, it was a good use of my time and money.


over my 3 week break, i spent nearly 170 hours on a plane, train or automobile. almost one fifth of the total time of my break. golly gee.


here are some photos i didn't get a chance to post:


bear outside the state capitol in sacramento.

final sunset on the train. somewhere in central CA.

1 comment:

amyyoung said...

What an amazing trip. So very glad you could come visit. :)