Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

food. spring break adventures.

i just finished cleaning the kitchen after baking two loaves of oatmeal honey bread, a batch of granola and set everything out to make a delicious bean and barley soup with cornmeal muffins and sweet potato fries for dinner. just writing that makes my mouth water!

i managed to eat rather healthy over spring break. since i mostly stayed with friends and paid my rent in baked goods and meals, i had a lot of control over what i prepared...which isn't typical of whirlwind vacations. the exception was my day at six flags where i ate about a pound of chocolate covered brownie bites and jelly beans followed by greasy cheese sticks. we went to a mongolian bbq restaurant later (aptly called genghis khan) where i redeemed myself with a fresh salad and a bowl of noodles with lots of veggies.

my break wouldn't be complete without baking bread, of course. one of my friends lent me a bread machine so i had a lot of fun making a loaf of bread in that and can't wait to experiment more! i also made some delicious garlic herb bread with ingredients fresh from the ventura farmer's market. this paired well with a vegetarian lasagna my friend karis made using kale instead of spinach. soooo good! during a break in the dancing, i made a few loaves of honey oat bread while at a contra weekend up in mt. baldy.

tomorrow it is back to camp food for the week, but i'm hoping to try some new recipes again next weekend. any suggestions of ingredients to try?

No comments: