Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

usa rail pass. first segment: california to colorado.

union station in la. saturday, december 18.
last saturday, i started my train trip across the country. weeks ago i bought a USA Rail Pass and set up my itinerary. i packed up my life for three weeks in my mid-size backpack and a messenger bag. then, after a rousing going away shindig for kate and stephen, i headed out with a few others down the mountain. it was a rainy, icky day in southern california, but i ended up being dropped off right at los angeles union station. i really liked the station. it had a comfortable waiting area, the ticket guy was helpful with my rail pass and all of my tickets, and there was even a movie being filmed right in the station. i didn't get any pictures of it, but as i walked by to board my train, there were people dressed up in really terrifying bear costumes (okay, maybe just terrifying to me, i'm sure it's some sort of children's movie).

sunrise in new mexico. sunday, december 19.
i learned from my last long distance train trip to bring a blanket and a pillow, so at around 9pm, my tummy full of a veggie burger from the snack bar, i curled up in my seat and fell asleep. i woke up at about 2am, knitted and read for a while and went back to sleep. i woke up again at 6:30 to see a beautiful sunrise.

i decided to splurge a little bit and enjoyed lunch in the dining car. i sat next to an old man headed towards boston and a navy guy heading from san diego back home to detroit. the old man left after a while, and i enjoyed some pleasant conversation with the navy guy. as we munched on the last bits of our sandwiches, we both ordered chocolate chip cheesecake with blueberries on top. it was delightful.

car wreck outside of lamy, nm on december 19, 2010.
all through southern california, arizona and into new mexico, the train was relatively on schedule. then, at around 2pm on sunday, our train hit a car at a small mountain road crossing. you can read the news story here. that put us at a standstill for about 5 hours. the driver, a 28-year-old man, was pulled out of his car within about half an hour experiencing shock and a possible broken leg. thankfully the outcome wasn't worse. i was surprised to see that everyone on the train stayed calm. amtrak had to call in special investigators and a new crew before we could go anywhere...which took a long time. i got restless at the 4th hour of waiting and bought myself a personal pizza and half a bottle of wine to enjoy on the rest of the trip

view of pikes peak from my aunt and uncle's backyard.
my uncle rick was originally going to pick me up at a stop closer to colorado springs where he and my aunt leslie live, however, he ended up picking me up in las vegas, nm. he drove 4 hours to get me, which meant a 4 hour drive back. i slept most of the way and was greeted with hugs and kisses by my aunt leslie and my grandma gini who is visiting from kansas for the holidays.

during my time on the train, i learned that my grandma sara in denver had taken ill and needed emergency surgery. so much drama in the family!

the flamingo tree!
my days in colorado springs were refreshing. i slept a lot, ate some delicious food and enjoyed seeing my aunt, uncle and grandma. we even decorated my aunt and uncle's aluminum tree in all flamingo ornaments.

on tuesday, uncle rick drove me up to denver to see my grandma sara in the hospital and to catch the train. grandma is doing alright...all things considered, but hopefully she'll get stronger day by day. uncle rick and i enjoyed some thai food at a restaurant near the hospital. curious about the train, i called amtrak and learned that the train into denver was running 7 hours late because of harsh weather and a derailed freight train.

so here i am, with another 4 hours to go. it's a good thing i still need to finish my christmas presents.

here are some more photos!!

grandma gini and i.
construction fence in albuquerque.
somewhere in new mexico.

No comments: